Friday, December 24, 2010

Race Recap : 2010 Shenadoah Mountain 100

I was thinking about this as I was driving the kids around getting the last of the 'back to school' stuff today. Imagine that you LOVE ice cream. Wouldn't it be really fun to have all day access to Cold Stone Creamery? You would eat ice cream until your body hurt and then you might have a little more until you don't want ANY more. The SM100 is sort of like a Mountain Bike Binge day I guess. After you are done, you absolutely don't want any more. But then, like eating too much ice cream, quickly after your stomach settles down, you wouldn't mind having a bit more.



The 2010 Shenandoah 100 brought a unique combination of camaraderie, pain, pleasure and everything in between. As a last minute entry, Chris Hayes decided to enter the race for the first time and we rode down together and ended up riding the first part of the course at the same pace. Chris had done a bit of reconnaissance on the course with his wife Sherry and knew more about the course than I could recall from my participation in the 2009 course. So I decided to try to jot down some notes on the course as it is fresh in my mind.

Even now, it is difficult to recall the specifics of each climb / descent. I think my mind just tells me...forget where you are, you are not in purgatory, just keep moving the pedals in circles, don't look up, just look 5 feet in front of you and keep pedaling. Think of doing that for 10 hours on a course of varying terrain and somebody asks something specific about the race. "It was the effing hardest race I've ever done" is the first thing that comes to mind. So, I will apologize in advance for any parts of the course that I don't get right and would appreciate any comments that folks have to add clarification.

Climb 1 :

The first climb just sort of happens. Everyone is still relatively together. The coordinator asked folks to line up according to the time they expect to have. So the guys up front probably put a good 10 minutes into the field even before the first climb. This climb is by far the easiest climb, but it still steep enough to force people off of the bike to walk. I recall the first steep pitch as a rutted out fire road, looking up and seeing people slow down to a crawl, some people getting off, finding my gear and just grinding up past the walkers. The first separation happens here based on climbing ability. But still, this climb is by far the shortest and least technical of the climbs. It is on fire road for the most part, albeit rutty here and there. As you crest this climb, I recall looking to the right and seeing a nice view of the mountains. A special sight so early in the morning on top of a mountain in the GW forest. I don't recall much about the descent from Climb 1.

Climb 2 :

This one hits hard fast. This the first technical climb in that the grade is steep and it is all single track. So no room to ride to the left or right to correct your balance. Keep your balance and pedal hard to make it to the top on your bike. And if you have to pass the walkers, it adds another challenge of letting people know you're coming and hoping that they get out off the trail as you pass them. As I recall, you leave a fire road, enter single track and the ascent comes quickly. This section is rideable if you are near the front of the pack, but selections haven't been enough to split people up just yet and so if you are anywhere but near the front, most of the riders get off of the bike and walk large sections of this climb. It is the first time that I got off the bike and mostly just because everyone else did. I followed Chris up this section and felt like the walking pace was a bit faster than I would prefer, but I didn't want to make people behind me edgy so I kept pace. I recall having to lean significantly uphill pushing the handlebars of my bike and then switching back and forth between putting one hand on the saddle and the other on the left handlebar. At various points of the climb people decide to jump on their bikes and pedal. Invariably, these attempts are futile and people can't find the momentum to move the bike forward and end up falling back to pushing and sometimes falling over partially clipped in. A special sort of hell when you are exhausted. But we aren't quite there yet...this is just climb 2.

The descent off climb 2 is very rocky and technical. Many 1-2 foot drops here. Get ready to put your butt behind the seat on this one otherwise your flying end over end. I forgot my gloves and also forgot to unlock my front shocks. I was ended up descending one of the more technical downhills that I've done this year on a GF hardtail 29er with no shocks and no gloves. You can image how that must have felt. My triceps are very sore this morning.

Climb 3 :

Again, the descent from climb 3 was very technical. Although the terrain profile looks less of a pitch downward than climb 2, there are several challenging drops that have you locking up both breaks while navigating very technical rocky sections. Half way down this descent I came to the realization that my front shocks were locked out and I fixed them. I immediately noticed that it was much better descending with shocks and I felt a bit relieved, hoping that I would be able to move a little better and with less pain. It was true to a point.

Climb 4 :

The single track climb #4 is etched into the mountain side. Off camber on both sides. If you stop and lose your balance to the right (downhill) you better get your foot down quickly or your going for a ride. That happened to me last year and I have a vivid memory of falling down the hill, eventually finding my feet only to experience a full tower torso cramping experience worse than any other cramping I recall. After something like that you have to get it out of your head otherwise you tend to do it again. It's sort of like golfing in that way...ignore the pond, otherwise the ball goes right in every time. Get it out of your head and imagine that the path is on a level climb. There are also some unexpected rocky sections (maybe 3 or 4) but if you keep your speed up you can just ride over them. This section is mostly rideable, but the first part of the climb is a carry your bike section. Too steep to even push the bike. The descent from 4 is much like the climb except the downhill is to the left, so again, don't think about riding off the trail to the left. I am very conservative on the descents and am amazed at the skill that riders passing me have. Guys just fly down these technical descents.

Climb 5 :

20 miles of non-technical climbing...It just doesn't end. Just find your climbing gear and settle in. This is the only hilltop aid station and it is more than welcome to find all the food, Heed, water, electrolytes, bike techs that you could ever want.

Video of descent off of climb 5


Climb 6 :

Climb 6 is half of what climb 3 is just half way. It hurts, but you're comforted by the fact that this is the LAST ONE! and you can just picture yourself riding into camp.

The descent is once again fairly technical at the start but then turns into undulating hills that become a fun way to end the ride. You begin to see tents scattered amongst the trails as you head into camp and you know that you are home.

Flats :

As you can see by the terrain profile, there are a bunch of flat sections of the course. Lots of pace lining going on here. A good place to make up some ground on the pure mountain bikers for those with road fitness. I was passed by the same guys on the descents on every mountain, but I caught back up on every flat. Flats are on mixed terrain, concrete public roads, gravel fire roads, mountain top single track through fields, etc.

Aid Stations :

I can't say enough about how well supported this race is. At every aid station I was greeted with "Hello Bryan (your number plate has your name on it), how can I help you...need a bike check? Heed refill?" The answer is typically YES...PLEASE...and...YES...PLEASE Tables with everything you can imagine, small cups of soda, electrolyte drinks, boxes of electrolyte pills, PB&J sandwiches, bananas, ambulances, whatever you can think of...it is there at the aid stations. There are 6 aid stations throughout the race. If you don't feel like riding this epic race, you can get pretty close to the experience by volunteering at aid station.

Short Video from the Promoter :

2 Comments:

At September 8, 2010 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Darren said...

Good write up, giving it a go next year again.

 
At December 11, 2010 at 4:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is very good for you, ybg :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home