Thursday, September 11, 2008

Into The Wild

I think the story may have even started on the east coast and ended in Alaska...although it's been many years since I read the book. Such may be my fate as I leave on Sunday to fish for Salmon in Kodiak, Alaska. I am about to embark on this fishing trip to Kodiak with my dad, uncle, and some close family and friends. It should be a very unique experience and I will take some pictures and try to keep a daily journal of my travels. Although there won't be internet access where I'm headed...not even electricity. Just us, the salmon, the grizzly bears, and the Alaskan wilderness.

It takes a bit more preparation to spend a week in Alaska than it does to plan my weekly commute to the office. I've decided that since my arm and leg warmers keep me quite warm on a bike in 30 degree weather, they should do me fine in place of long underwear in 40 degree Alaskan weather. I figure, I'll be around water most of the time, and they'll clean fairly easily via the Dave Z method. I've got my layering strategy all planned out. But aside from the fancy swimsuit that looks like biking shorts, my arm and leg warmers, I'll be stocked like most of the other fishermen. I've been gathering all of my stuff into little piles that will go into little stuff bags, which will then go into bigger stuff bags.

I'll be off the bike for a week, but perhaps I'll lose a couple of pounds by limiting my input to fresh Pacific Salmon.

If I don't make it back, I will turn my blog over to the then to be true bike widow...

3 Comments:

At September 12, 2008 at 11:52 AM , Blogger Suzi Burns said...

You know, that isn't even FUNNY...

ps...where are the life insurance papers?

 
At September 28, 2008 at 8:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was fun fishing, especially when you lost your license for a day. Did you ever find it? Yougot a replacement, and the next day, in the middle of nowhere, there was a ranger to check your license!! Who would have thunk?

 
At September 29, 2008 at 7:00 AM , Blogger BB said...

yeah, what a dummy. I went all that way and couldn't find my license! good thing that we could get mail drops out there... then out of nowhere flies in the enforcement officer and of all the people he asks for mine first and I proudly produced it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home